CSA Services

FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions

If you have any questions that haven't been answered below, please This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it., and we'll add it to the list.


 CSA Student Community

Q: When will I get to meet other CSA students?

A: The CSA Orientation Day and Welcome Dinner are a great way to meet other CSA students at the beginning of your program. Our staff will do their best to get you in touch with fellow students in your first few days in China so you can feel a part of the CSA student community!

Q: Who attends the CSA activities? Are they compulsory?

A: Generally, scheduled activities are not compulsory for students, though the Orientation Day is an exception. Activities and events are usually held on a weekly basis and are optional to all CSA students and their friends.

Some students attend every activity every week and others pick and choose the trips they have an interest in. Each student will be given a CSA Activity Schedule in the Welcome Pack upon arrival.

Q: Who are the other CSA students? Where are they from?

A: CSA students all share a common interest here in China: to learn Mandarin Chinese. Students come from all corners of the globe, on different programs, for different lengths of time, making the CSA student community a fun and exciting blend of people. Some students speak English as their first language and others don’t – either way, you'll find making friends easy and it’s a great way to practice your Chinese!



Q: Who will I be roomed with if I choose a shared accommodation?

A: All students on our program are roomed with fellow CSA students. Generally, we do our best to match students according to their gender, age, program, and school so that they can share their experiences together. However, we can arrange for couples and friends to be together if requested.

Q: Who will I be roomed with if I choose a homestay family?

A: All homestay families are from middle to upper-middle class and have been interviewed for suitability. They are also selected based on the school you choose to allow for the shortest commute possible. Most homestay accommodation only has one room so you will not be paired with another student, however, occasionally some families can accommodate two CSA students. All homestay families are used to having students to stay and often are eager to show foreigners around China.

Q: What facilities are the apartments equipped with?

A: All apartments come furnished and ready for your arrival with items such as a bedroom with bed linens, desk and lamp; a lounge area with a TV and DVD player and couch; and a kitchen equipped with basic utensils, stove, microwave and fridge. All apartments also come with bathroom and washing machine facilities.

Q: Are bills and utilities included in my accommodation costs? If not, how much should I expect to pay?

A: All utility bills are covered in the accommodation price of our Premium apartments, dorm and homestay accommodations.

Students in Standard apartments will be billed monthly by CSA for the amount of gas and electricity used, which is usually no more than US$40 per month.

Q: Is there wireless internet access in the apartment?

A: Yes, your internet connection will be set up and ready for your arrival. The network information and password will be given to you when you move in.

Q: Will I have my own bathroom?

A: Students in a single apartment will have their own private bathroom facilities. For students who choose a double accommodation option, the bathroom is shared between the two CSA students living in the apartment.

Q: What is the difference between Standard and Premium apartments?

A: Standard and Premium apartments differ only to the level of comfort and inclusions. Both accommodation options are of a high standard and come fully furnished.

Standard apartments come complete with the basics - kitchen, bathroom, individual bedrooms, laundry, and living and dining area. There is a TV and DVD player in the lounge area as well as a couch and wireless internet. The monthly cost of utilities are low, usually about US$40. There is also a weekly cleaning service.

The Premium apartment option comes with all of the same Standard inclusions, plus a little bit more. The apartments tend to be newer, furnishings and decor are more modern, the kitchen is better equipped, and all monthly utilities are covered by your program payment so you never have to worry about bills!

Q: What if I don’t like my roommates or homestay family?

A: Students generally get along with their roommates / homestay families. Homestay families are put through screening methods and we will never employ a family that has received negative reviews from one of our students.

However, if there is a problem, we will find you a new homestay family / roommate in order that your stay will be as pleasant as possible. We will try to make sure it's the same type of accommodation. Of course, it is not easy to find new housing, but we will do our best to move you within a reasonable amount of time as long as we find your problems to be legitimate. CSA will always do its best for you within reason.

Q: Are there gym / supermarket / bank facilities near my accommodation?

A: Yes – all these facilities are usually within walking distance to all our accommodations. The CSA staff will show you these areas during your first few days of arrival in order to get you acquainted with your new home and local area as soon as possible.

Q: Who do I call if I need something fixed in the apartment?

A: Simply contact your city's CSA staff and they will arrange a time to meet at your apartment and repair whatever is required. All staff numbers are programmed into your CSA mobile phone for you to contact at any time for any reason.

Q: Can I cook in my apartment?

A: Of course! All CSA apartments are equipped with facilities such as a gas stove, microwave, refrigerator and basic utensils.

Q: Where is my apartment located in relation to campus?

A: In most cases, apartments are located a 10-25 minute walk from your particular campus. This is a journey made even quicker by bike, bus, or taxi. In rare cases, homestays are situated one or two subway stops from campus.

Q: How do I get to campus from my apartment?

A: It's most common for students to ride a bike or walk on foot to class, but students who live a bit further away from campus sometimes choose to take a bus or subway or catch a cab to get to school each day. For the more adventurous type, electric scooters are available for purchase.



Q: Are there English-speaking doctors available in China?

A: Yes! In each city CSA runs its programs, there are English-speaking doctors available, and there are also international hospitals and clinics in the larger cities that foreigners call home. Please keep in mind that English-speaking health services do cost more than regular local health services, as your medical insurance may require you to pay upfront and be reimbursed your expenses after filing a claim.

In the event you need to see a doctor, CSA staff have all the relevant information you may require, and they can also accompany you to an appointment if needed. CSA always recommends making an appointment if possible, as emergency fees may be charged otherwise.

Q: Do I have to go to the hospital or doctor on my own?

A: No! If you're at all nervous, don't feel that your Chinese is strong enough, or would just like the extra company while you are unwell, a CSA Staff Member can accompany you.

Q: I have a pre-existing medical condition – are medications available in China? Are there many pharmacies around?

A: There are pharmacies throughout China offering most types of medicine. However, we strongly recommend that you bring all prescription medication with you before you arrive in China.

We also strongly recommend that you bring medical records with you if you have pre-existing health conditions, because for certain medicines, prescriptions are required and your medical records will help expedite these matters. CSA staff will be there to help you with any problems you may encounter.

Q: Do I need vaccinations to come to China?

A: Yes. While it is usually not compulsory (this may depend on your originating country), we do advise all applicants to get vaccinations prior to arrival. We recommend that you check the following vaccinations: Hepatitis A, Hepatitis B, Japanese B Encephalitis, Tetanus, Diphtheria, and Typhoid.


  • Beijing

    China Study Abroad Ltd
    3610 Capital Mansions,
    6 Xinyuan Nan Road, Chaoyang
    Beijing, 100027
    Phone: (+86) 10 8468 3799 
  • London

    China Study Abroad Ltd
    154 Bishopsgate
    London EC2M 4LN
    United Kingdom
    Phone: (+44) 0207 377 84 
  • Hong Kong

    China Study Abroad Ltd
    Rm 604-7 Dominion Centre
    43-59 Queen’s Road East
    Hong Kong
    Phone: (+852) 800 968 924 


f-grey t-grey

Our Newsletter