Overview of Visa Requirements for China

It is each student’s responsibility to ensure that they apply for and obtain a Visa to gain entry to China, prior to their departure. Students are advised to contact their closest Chinese Embassy or Consulate to inquire about their individual Visa application process.

There are generally two types of Visa’s students obtain when preparing to come to China - Student or Business. The choice is largely dependant on the length of your study time as well as the how far in advance you apply for your visa ahead of departure.

Dual citizens must apply for visas using the same passport that will be used to register students for their chosen university. Applicaitions for visas and university can not be made using two identifications. 

Students with Hong Kong residence cards and entering China from Hong Kong must use their Hong Kong residence cards. University applications must also be done using Hong Kong residence card. Please note that not all universities accept Hong Kong ID's for Chinese language programs. Ask us before making your application so we can advise on the best way to apply.

Visas can be converted from tourist visas to student visas after arrival in China. This may involve getting a medical exam in China. The total cost of converting your visa is approx 960RMB.

China Study Abroad will provide as much advise and assistance with obtaining your visa, however we are unable to guarantee visa issuance and we do not have any influence over the consulates choice of visa, length of time issued or number of entries.

For more information This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. or read our Frequently Asked Questions.


Apply Now Sign up for a CSA program with a friend and you both receive a 5% discount!
  • Beijing

    China Study Abroad Ltd
    3610 Capital Mansions,
    6 Xinyuan Nan Road, Chaoyang
    Beijing, 100027
    Phone: (+86) 10 8468 3799 
  • London

    China Study Abroad Ltd
    154 Bishopsgate
    London EC2M 4LN
    United Kingdom
    Phone: (+44) 0207 377 84 
  • Hong Kong

    China Study Abroad Ltd
    Rm 604-7 Dominion Centre
    43-59 Queen’s Road East
    Hong Kong
    Phone: (+852) 800 968 924 


f-grey t-grey

Our Newsletter